This is the official homepage of NB-Rail Association, which supports the NB-Rail Coordination by publishing the following information and documents.
Recommendation For Use (RFU)
In accordance with the principles of (EU) 2016/797 Art 44, (EC) No 765/2008 Art R30 & R17(11) and the Blue Guide 2016 (5.2.2&5.2.4) NB-Rail Coordination Group prepares recommendations for use in conjunction with the provisions of the TSIs and (EU) 2016/797 (so called RFUs).
The text of an RFU must undergo a three-level screening process where the proposed text is drafted, reviewed and improved between technical expert level, process expert level and endorsement by all notified bodies present at the NB-Rail Coordination Group plenary meeting. As a fundamental principle, an RFU shall ensure a uniform application of the current technical provisions of the applicable legislation as established by the European Commissions by clarification, but it cannot alter any mandatory content of this applicable legislation.
Although RFU's do not require formal approval from external bodies, at all 3 levels ERA representatives are informed and their feedback is welcomed and also the regulatory committee known as the "Railway Interoperability and Safety Committee (RISC)" can comment on RFUs in accordance with the procedure provided for in Article 51 of the Directive (EU) 2016/797.
RFUs are published as primary source as defined by the Blue Guide 2016 (5.2.4) on the European Community webpage https://circabc.europa.eu. RFUs are “administrative decisions” as defined by Directive (EU) 2016/797 Art 30.6 and therefore shall be applied by all notified bodies.
As this resource is by many considered as difficult to navigate, NB-Rail Association supports the NB-Rail Coordination Group to present the same RFUs also on this web page here below.
Questions & Clarification
Frequently Asked Questions
NB-Rail publishes a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) and related answers to give all stakeholders guidance at the application of TSIs and Directive (EU) 2016/797. FAQs are published as primary source as defined by the Blue Guide 2016 (5.2.4) on the European Community webpage circabc.europa.eu.
As this resource is by many considered as difficult to navigate, a number of notified bodies are co-operating to present the same FAQs also here:
Frequently Asked Questions
RFUs for previous versions of TSIs
These RFUs may be still applicable for ongoing projects that apply previous versions of a TSI
Adopted Recommendation For Use
- RFU-STR-001 Content of EC Certificates.pdf
- RFU-STR-011 Content of NoBo file.pdf
- RFU-STR-022 Test laboratories.pdf
- RFU-STR-043 Tolerances.pdf
- RFU-STR-086 Certification outside TEN.pdf
- RFU-STR-092 Use of modules.pdf
- RFU-STR-095 Translation discrepancies in TSIs.pdf
- RFU-STR-700 Modules CB and CD by different applicants.pdf
- RFU-STR-702 Application of RFUs, QCs, TOs and TAs.pdf
- RFU-STR-710 NoBo scope definition.pdf
Subsystems trackside and on-board CCS
Subsystem rolling stock
- RFU-PRM-076 Interpretation of clearway requirements in the PRM TSI.pdf
- RFU-RST-026 Free spaces at end of wagon.pdf
- RFU-RST-027 Noise conformity assessment.pdf
- RFU-RST-074 Assessment procedure in case of modified freight wagons.pdf
- RFU-RST-078 Multiple trainset operation - train mass.pdf
- RFU-RST-090 Audible information in cab.pdf
- RFU-RST-099 Simplified evaluation NOI TSI.pdf
- RFU-RST-300 Compatibility with train detection systems.pdf
- RFU-RST-301 EMS assessment.pdf
- RFU-RST-302 Degraded modes and conditions.pdf
- RFU-RST-307 Safety assessment of wheel slide protection.pdf
- RFU-RST-308 Structural strength of running gear.pdf
- RFU-RST-309 Carry on-board rescue coupler.pdf
- RFU-RST-311 Wheelset electrical resistance.pdf
- RFU-RST-312 Electrical hazards.pdf
- RFU-RST-313 Use of EN 45545-2 para.4.7 for products that do not require to be compliant.pdf
- RFU-RST-314 Passenger alarm system.pdf
- RFU-RST-315 Handling of ICs contained in ICs.pdf
- RFU-RST-317 Appendix C introduction.pdf
- RFU-RST-318 Specific cases in CCS TSI.pdf
- RFU-RST-319 Load cases for tank wagons.pdf
- RFU-RST-322 Evidences for EN-UIC brake system.pdf
Subsystems infrastructure and rolling stock
Documents at other sources
The official documents are also on CIRCABC and can be accessed following this procedure:
- Goto homepage of circa
- Click: "Browse categories" on the left side
- Click: "NB-Net - Notified Bodies Network" from the list (Interinstitutional projects)
- Click: "NB-Rail"
- Click: "Library" on the left side
- Click: "Public Documents"
The Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSI) can be found on the official webpage of ERA
Old versions of RFUs and QCs can be found in the archive section on CIRCABC. Otherwise, they can be requested to the Technical Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org